Lionel Trains The Polar Express was modeled based on the train in the famous movie “Polar Express”. The movie was very popular among kids and families. The movie told a story of a young boy who rode the Polar Express train in an adventure to find if Santa is real. Although the movie was released more than five years ago, the Polar Express train set is still very popular these days.
The train was designed to be very similar with the train in the movie. It has two lighted coach bars, a Berkshire steam locomotive, and the observation car complete with an observation deck. The windows of the cars are covered with silhouettes that represent the characters in the film.
This is a ‘G’ scale toy plastic train with plastic track that is battery powered and is controlled by an R/C unit. It has better quality equipment and features than other G scale train set.
The engine has built-in sound that makes a steam ‘chuff’ noise synchronized to the speed of the engine. It also makes a steam brake release noise when it stops. It has a bell sound and whistle that you can control from the R/C unit. It has 3 speeds in both forward and reverse directions. The speeds seems very prototypical. The speed is also momentum controlled – the train speeds up and slows down at a measured pace just like a real train. The detail on the engine is quite good for a toy train.
All parts of the Lionel Polar Express train are easy to put together. The manufacturer provides detailed instructions on how to assemble the parts so most likely older children can put together all the parts by themselves. Most of the parts are made from durable materials so they can withstand rough treatment from your children. For model railroaders or anyone who wants to tinker, you could add lighting to the coaches fairly easily.
You can operate this train using a 9.6 volt rechargeable battery (not included) or use six conventional C batteries (which are included) – it’s your choice! The set also comes with an easy-to-operate RC remote controller (with two AA batteries included). The train would possibly work well outdoors if you want to try creating a garden railway.
- Steam Locomotive and Coal tender
- Passenger coach with two opening doors
- Observation car with “disappearing hobo” feature and opening door
- Three Polar Express figures (conductor, boy and hobo)
- 12 Curved and 4 straight easy-to-assemble G-Gauge black plastic track pieces
- Easy-to-unpack, easy-to-repack storage box
- RC remote controller
- Highly detailed, sturdily constructed Berkshire-style locomotive
- Authentic train sounds, including bell and whistle
- Working headlight
- Requires six C cell batteries (not included)
Passenger Cars Feature:
- Handsomely detailed passenger coach
- Observation car with “disappearing hobo” feature
- Fixed knuckle couplers
RC Remote Control Features:
- Designed for easy use
- Clearly marked buttons allow train to go forward and reverse, sound the whistle, ring the bell, and play “All aboard The Polar Express”
- Requires two AA batteries (not included)